Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Random mismoshed updates

Economic crisis hits home

Got a letter in the mail yesterday today from Citibank regarding my credit card. It was a "notice of change in terms and right to opt out." Basically put, they were informing me that as of October 1, 2008 (and yes, I did just get this notice yesterday, go figure) they were increasing my APR on purchases to 16.99% for my current 8.99%. I got worried. Had I missed a payment? Had my identity been stolen? I called to ask the reason for the change. The lady on the phone assured me that my account was in perfect standing, and I had done nothing to incur the change. It was simply do to "business reasons" (a.k.a. they're running out of loot due to bad investments and are trying to recoup losses by screwing their customers). I've been a cardholder since 2003, and have never missed a payment and this is how they show their appreciation for my business? No thank you. I chose to "opt out" which basically means that I'll hum along at my 8.99% APR until my card expires in 2011, at which point my card will effectively be canceled. I won't be able to use the card to make any purchases, but my original APR will be locked in and I can continue to make payments at that rate. Obnoxious. Didn't Citigroup just get $20 billion in bailout money? What the heck are they doing with that money that the still need to jack my rates for absolutely no reason? Grr!

I sold a photograph!

Ryan has 7 of his photographs on display at the Laurelthirst. He surprised my by putting two of my pinhole photos in the show. I found out last week that one of them sold! I've never had my work on display, and certainly didn't expect to have anything sell. It was a pretty good feeling. Here's the pic that sold. It's a 20 min pinhole exposure at Ecola State Park in Oregon.

Politics

It's been quite a while since I've left any political post here. That's partially because I'm busier than ever and I usually give these posts a lot of thought and include references to back up facts, etc. I do have a little list going of topics I've been meaning to write about. But for now I'll simply say this. I'm 29 years old, and have only been around to vote in 3 presidential elections. For the first time, and with much hope and optimism, I can say that I voted for the winning ticket. Now when I travel overseas, I won't have to automatically either a) be an an apologist for American foreign policy, or b) straight out pretend I'm from Canada. Living in Switzerland in 2003 in the the beginning stages of a unilateral "-ism" war was a very interesting experience. Everywhere I went there was anti-Bush graffiti and signs and protests. Most Europeans I encountered were sophisticated enough to distinguish the anti-Bush stance from an anti-American one, but it still gave me an unsettling feeling traveling around as an American. I finally have hope that the next time I'm abroad, that feeling won't be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home