Thursday, June 01, 2006

Cats

I've never lived with, or spent much time around cats. Where I live now, there are two cats, and I'm learning quickly that cats and dogs are completely different in just about every way. I was attempting to unpack a box from my recent move. I turned around for 2 seconds, and looked back to find one of the cats had set up camp in the box. So not knowing any better, I errantly assumed that the type of coercion that would successfully get a dog out of the box, would also oust the cat. I stood about 6 feet back from the box and excitedly called his name and clapped my hands. With dogs, all you have to do is give the impression that something else is more exciting than what they are currently doing. They're suckers. This trick did NOT work on the cat. He simply gave me a look that said, "Do you think I'm a fool? This box is FAR batter than the floor over there. I'm not falling for it." And he rolled over and ignored me completely. I think both the cat and I learned something about each other that day. The cat learned that I'm a silly, excitable human who likes to clap for no reason, and I learned that the cat is clearly in charge.

1 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger C Brow said...

Sure are. Amazing little self-concerned people they are. Just like most real people. Dogs are more like the people I want to actually meet in life though. They are better people than cats, and most "people" people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home