Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Eeek. Biochem midterm!!!

This is what I've been up to for the past several days. Pretty much all day long I lock myself in the students' lounge and study biochemistry. Everyone in my biochem class has had a biochem class before. Not me. Never mind biochem. I've hardly even taken plain bio. I've take exactly 1 biology course ever, and that was back in 2000, two degrees and a full-time job ago. I consider myself more of a chemist/physisist. (Not to be confused with a physical chemist...way different thing.) This class takes every ounce of brain power I can muster, and even then I feel lost alot of the time. Some of the other students even got their undergrad majors in biochem. Sigh.

Anyway, the midterm is this morning. In an hour and a half to be exact. I'm not excited. I've seen previous years' midterms for this class. Ouch. When a professor grades a 66% as a solid B, some student get excited because of the scale. Me, I get nervous. Such a crazy scale in a class tells me one thing: the professor is more concerned with quickly spewing forth a ton of information at a breakneck speed and is satisfied if the students comprehend about half of it. I call that lousy teaching. It would be better if the professor picked out the absolute essentials, and focused on actually fostering knowledge and understanding of those essentials. Ok, nuff grumbling. Back to the board for more studying. (I think this is officially "cramming" at this point.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home