Saturday, March 29, 2008

Out of Post-Its?

It's Saturday. I came to work fairly excited today to start a newish phase of my research. Sometimes the weekends are the best times to get things done because there are no interruption/interrupters. Anyways, this is what greeted me on the lab white board as soon as I arrived in the lab:


It's tough to read since I took the pic with my cell phone camera but I'll dictate it to you:

Friday
1. Electronic pipette must be returned to charging platform, or guess what happens? It doesn't take a rocket scientist! Lab phone had similar problem and was beeping about it.
2. pH electrode reference solution was evaporated because of inadequate parafilm coverage.
3. Gel box power supply was left on. Geez!...
4. Gel running buffer was left in gel running box to dry out.
5. Beaker stuck to benchtop.
...Thanks for making it all seem worthwhile!

This is exactly the type of behaviour that makes me not want to come into work. And no, this isn't the work of a colleague or lab mate...it's my boss. My favorite part is the line about the rocket scientist. Seems to be one of the boss' favorites. Looking over the list I know that 4 of the 5 of these items have nothing to do with me. I don't use the electric pipette. I haven't run a gel for months. And the beaker was stuck to the gel station benchtop. None of my doing. The pH electrode is on my list of equipment that I maintain in the lab. I check on it once a week. Last week I checked it on Tuesday. It was fine and full. The parafilm only comes off when the electrode is in use, and I haven't used it in at least 2 months. So none of the angry list items are my fault, but I still can't help but be angered, hurt, and discouraged by it.

It's just another sign that I work somewhere where workers aren't treated with dignity or respect. How can a boss expect notes like this to resolve anything. If anything, it makes workers less inclined to care about their jobs than more inclined to. It's unprofessional, and demeaning.

Normally these little notes (yes, with more "rocket scientist" references) are on post-it notes left in the lab. Those are a little less infuriating because you can at least crumple them up in a ball and throw them away to relieve some anger. But this one was huge and written on the white board. I can't erase it, so it's going to have to stay there, making me angry, until the boss takes it down. I guess we were all out of post-its.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home