Monday, July 16, 2007

Break on through...

I finally did it! I broke the 900 mark! This past weekend was the Rose City Open disc golf tournament in Portland, OR. It was three rounds of golf played over two days at Pier Park. After the first round, I was in second place and shot a 847 rated round. After the second round I was in 3rd place and shot a 859 rated round. That was then end of the first day of golf. At this point, I was 5 strokes out of first place, and 4 strokes out of second. I had a lot of ground to cover if I wanted to finish better than third and there was only one round to go. It would be a challenge. Plus, the layout the second day was tougher. All the baskets were moved to their longer positions.

Anyway, I never really keep track of strokes when I play. I do in a general way, but I don't keep track on how far off from the competition I am after every hole. I just play each hole as if it were the only one and don't worry too much about the numbers as they compare to my competitors. I had a feeling on Sunday that I was having a pretty good round, but didn't know much beyond that. I got 3s on holes other girls were getting 4s or 5s on. I was first on the box on almost all of the holes. I ended up finishing that round 2 strokes better than the girl who was in first, and 5 strokes better than the girl who was in second. So once the math was all done, that meant I moved into second by 1 stroke, and was only 3 strokes out of first place instead of the 5 I started at.

The girl who won played a spectacular tournament and deserved to win. I was just glad to have moved up to second. Still, the best part didn't come until this morning when I saw the round ratings for that last round. I shot a 902 rated round!!! My player rating is a 838. All three rounds of this tournament were significantly better than that, but up until this weekend, I had never shot a tournament round in the 900s. The closest I had come was 887. I shot an average of 870 for this tournament. That's 32 points (or about 3 strokes) better than my rating. I've been saying that when I hit that 900 mark with my rating I'd crack out some champagne and celebrate. OK, it'll probably just be some cheap sparkling wine, but that's beside the point. The point is that I shot a 902 rated round in a sanctioned tournament, and I'm pretty darned pleased with myself. Woo hoo!

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have some cheap sparkling wine! We will celebrate your success down here while you celebrate up there. LOL

You did a great job, next time you play a tourney at Pier Park you will be #1!!!

Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home